qmail vs smail

I have been using smail as the mail transport agent on a hamm system.
Recently I tried to install the 12000 line aliases file that we keep
on all our instructional machines.  I found that this caused smail to
grind to a halt.  Apparently smail doesn't create dbm files when
newaliases is run.

Would qmail be a better alternative as a MTA?  If it can resolve
aliases faster it would certainly help.  I would prefer not to install
sendmail unless absolutely necessary.  My memories of trying to
configure sendmail are not pleasant memories.