Re: PCI NIC support for 89C940?

>I've got a bunch of PCI Ethernet adapters lying around, several
>brands like Link-SYS etc. that I'd like to use with Linux.
>
>They all have the LSI "Winbond W89C940F" on them. I've seen some
>reference to them as being "Novell NE2000 Compatible" but they
>don't seem to work with that driver and they don't use NE2000
>I/O addresses. The HOW-2's don't seem to list this chip.
>
>Does anyone know if this part is supported, the drive name and how to
>get it?

I have two of these devices at present, One in a windows box and the other
in my Linux machine. Both working OK. From memory I needed a kernel version
greater than 2.0.29 to enable the Linux one. Below has been cut from my
/proc/pci

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX (rev 1).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max
Lat=255.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000.
  Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Winbond NE2000-PCI (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.
      I/O at 0x6100.

The I/O address and irq can be set via software only, no jumpers that I
recall.

Let me know how you get on.

John.