Re: Using obsolete Laser printers with Debian

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 12:15:08PM -0800, Howard S. Ostrowsky wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have recently acquired two obsolete laser printers which were destined
> for the garbage dump.  I would like to use one or both of them with my
> Debian system, but I'm having some problems.
>
> The first one is an HP LaserJet Plus (500K memory) with serial and
> parallel interfaces.  It works well (parallel) under DOS and windows.
> In Linux I can print ascii text, but not post-script.  I am using
> Magicfilter and Aladdin-Ghostscript, but when I send a postscript
> document to the printer it justs hangs.  A log file says "25% done...50%
> done..." etc. "lpq" says the document is in the queue, then a little
> later it says the queue is empty.  But the printer remains silent.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions for me?  How about a printcap entry that has
> actually worked?

You might try lowering the resolution.  A while back I had a LaserJet (no
numbers or plus) working with ghostscript.  I no longer have the configs, but
IIRC all I changed was the resolution.  The LaserJet has no memory, so the only
resolution was the lowest. :-(

I hope yours will work better.

HTH

--