Re: SoundBlaster AWE64

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 09:03:49AM +0100, Markus Lechner wrote:
> Another question:
>
> /dev/audio and a working /dev/dsp, but when trying to use /dev/sequencer
> i get
> an error '/dev/sequencer: Permission denied' and there fuser says
> nothing about
> /dev/sequencer.

How do you access the sequencer device? I don't know of any direct use of
this device, it can only be used with some sense by midi programs. Try the
drvmidi command after sfxload'ing some soundfont file...

As for the error message: Please check the permission of the file. You can
do this so:

# ls -l /dev/sequencer
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   1 Feb 13  1997 /dev/sequencer

Do you see this line? If not, you can change it with root:

crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   1 Feb 13  1997 /dev/sequencer
 ^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    (1)             (2)

(1) chmod 660 /dev/sequencer
(2) chown root.audio /dev/sequencer

Check also the other sound related device files.

Now you will certainly get "permission denied", but you can add all users
that should be allowed to use sound to the group "audio".

Just append the user login names, speerated by commas, to the audio line in
the file /etc/group. Then login with this user, and you should be all right.

PS: You did read the AWE mini-HOWTO at sunsite, in your /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini
directory or from my homepage (see below), didn't you?

Bye,
Marcus