Re: Good Soundcard

On Sun, Jan 25, 1998 at 10:24:50PM -0500, David E. Scott wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Try to get a SB 32, but stay away from SB 64!
> >
> > Reason:
> >
> > The SB32 does work fine with the awe patch to the kernel (available as
> > Debian package).
> >
> > The SB64 will work , too, but only as a SB32 (because the additional 32 are
> > windoze driver only).
> >

> Marcus,
> 	Bummer! I have an AWE64 card and had hoped to be able to use all its
> features. ;)

Nope, sorry, you can't... Well, do you know what a Winmodem is? Or the
Windows Printing System? The vendors put the intelligence in the software,
not in the hardware. But windoze drivers don't work under any platform
beside Windows itself (sometimes, there isn't even a Windows NT driver!)

So, to get the most out of your sound card, check my HOWTO at sunsite
(mini-HOWTO/Soundblaster-AWE.HOWTO or so) or here:

http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/soundblaster.html

You can browse it online, or download a nice printable or plain ascii text
version...

If you have questions regarding the soundblaster, just ask me.

Marcus