Re: Installing Problems with 3com PCI Bus Master 3C590 Combo Network Card

Tony Curzon Price <uctpjac@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> > > The errors reported are:
> > > SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again
> > > SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable
> > > SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable
> >
> > When do this errors occur?
>
> I get this error at boot-up, but also as a result of:
> /sbin/route add -net <<my IP>> netmask <<my mask>>
>
> > 1. check if the card is really used by Linux
> >  cd /proc
> >  cat ioports
> >  cat interrupts
> >  cat modules
>
> The card has entries in ioports and in modules, but mot in interrupts.
> Does this point the finger to anything in particular?

Don't know for sure, lets try something else.

lsmod will show if the module got installed.

I believe you /etc/init.d/network has a line like
ifconfig eth0 192.168.3.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Check if you have an alias for eth0 pointing to your NIC module in
/etc/conf.modules like "alias eth0 ne". "ne" is my ne2000 driver.

rmmod your NIC module, use depmod to reload it and then run
/etc/init.d/network again.

> > 2. check the networkconfiguration
> >  route -n
> >  ifconfig
>
> These produce values for a "null" network, although the addresses etc in
> /etc/init.d/network look correct to me.

It is always better to include the output.

> > Hardwaredetection is IMHO nothing distribution, but kernelversion specific.
>
> Does this mean that improvements in the kernel have made this bit of
> hardware detection more difficult (eg, the 2.0.12 installation never, as
> far as I remember, required any parameters to be passed to the 3c59x
> module ...).

Maybe the 3c59x module in your current kernel can handle more models then
in 2.0.12 and therefore needs the options. The documentation in the
kernelsource should tell you more.

Ciao,
	Martin