Installing Problems with 3com PCI Bus Master 3C590 Combo Network Card

Dear Users,

In deciding to upgrade my Linux, I decided to change distribution &
re-install the whole thing.

It's gone smoothly apart from the fact that the network is not
recognised. This is, unfortunately, on the critical path to full
installation!

The errors reported are:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again
SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable
SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable

In reports about the card, I get:

eth0:Initial Media Type is 10baseT
eth0:vortex_open() InternalConfig 0120010
eth0:media selection timer tick happened, 10baseT
eth0:media 10baseT has link beat 8800
eth0:selection timer finished, 10baseT

I have a 3com PCI Bus Master 3C590 Combo Network Card. I use the Thin
CoAx BNC Connector for this. At Debian installation, I load the 3C359x
module, entering the following:
options=3
in the Debian screen for command line options. The 3 option specifies
10BASE2 as the medium-type.

Things I've tried:
*I have tried most other 1/2 sensible options in the module loader;

*Someone on comp.os.linux.setup recently reported a similar sounding
problem relating to a conflict with a SB card. I took my SB card out &
re-installed, but this makes no difference.

A few questions:
1.Do you know the solution?
2.Why do the boot messages seem to indicate that the card is configured
for RJ45 (10BaseT) when I specified the options in the module loader
that I wanted BNC?
3.In what file can I find the modules _with parameters_ being loaded (my
slackware system used to have /etc/rc.d/rc.modules for that, but I see
nothing equivalent in my debian /etc/)?
4.Any suggestions as to how to further debug this (my Slackware system
was running identical hardware barring a SCSI card that Debian seems to
have recognised very nicely).

Thank you

Tony