Re: Installing Problems with 3com PCI Bus Master 3C590 Combo Network Card

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your help.

> First of all: I may be wrong, but aren't the vortex and the boomerang
> cards supported only by kernel >=  2.0.32 ?

My old Slackware distribution was of Kernel 2.0.12, and had support for
the card.

> > The errors reported are:
> > SIOCSIFFLAGS: Try again
> > SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable
> > SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable
>
> When do this errors occur?

I get this error at boot-up, but also as a result of:
/sbin/route add -net <<my IP>> netmask <<my mask>>

> 1. check if the card is really used by Linux
>  cd /proc
>  cat ioports
>  cat interrupts
>  cat modules

The card has entries in ioports and in modules, but mot in interrupts.
Does this point the finger to anything in particular?

> 2. check the networkconfiguration
>  route -n
>  ifconfig

These produce values for a "null" network, although the addresses etc in
/etc/init.d/network look correct to me.

> > 4.Any suggestions as to how to further debug this (my Slackware system
> > was running identical hardware barring a SCSI card that Debian seems to
> > have recognised very nicely).
>
> Hardwaredetection is IMHO nothing distribution, but kernelversion specific.

Does this mean that improvements in the kernel have made this bit of
hardware detection more difficult (eg, the 2.0.12 installation never, as
far as I remember, required any parameters to be passed to the 3c59x
module ...).

Still in the dark, and dreading the thought of doing my TeX on W95,

Tony