Re: bo, hamm, stable, unstable

Hallo Markus,

Posted and mailed.

Markus Lechner <Markus.Lechner@munich.netsurf.de> writes:

> Maybe this question is really stupid, but anyway:
>
> bo, hamm, stable, unstable, etc. What's this?
> Hamm means unstable or untested - concerning to the kernel or only to
> the software packages?

Well, only to the software packages. The Kernel is stable or unstable
depending on which one you installed (2.0.X = stable, 2.1.Y =
unstable).

> I feel a bit outdated when running bo and it looks like the amount of
> problems
> is mostly the same - no matter whether running the stable or the
> unstable distribution. nitpic (for example) won't run on my system (but
> it should be
> stable, or not?).

You don´t have to. I always run my production system as bo (but ok, I
have got an unstable system, too. That´s because I want to take part
in the development.) The advantages/disadvantages of a hamm system are:

1) glibc6
2) New source format for packages
3) A lot of more packages.
4) Sometimes new uploads of packages can be broken.

Unless you plan to develop libc6 or want to have some of the new
packages, there´s no need to upgrade.

No. 4, I think is a good reason not to upgrade until hamm freezes for
release. A friend of mine in december wasn´t able to read mail two
days, because dselect updated his mail reader and it was broken...

> How can kde-beta2.2 (i got the Lehmanns CD) reside in
> stable? I do not understand what is actually stable and what's not - and
> how this relates to the kernel-version.

Well, JFL`s CD isn`t an Official Debian GNU/Linux Distribution.
They provide KDE as an add on, which is possible as there`s no license
prohibiting this. This is encouraged by the debian project. (In France
there`s a commercial distribution based on debian.)

Jens

---
Jens.Ritter@post.rwth-aachen.de
finger jens@unsolved.weh.rwth-aachen.de for pgp-key
(during normal european business time hours)