bo, hamm, stable, unstable

Maybe this question is really stupid, but anyway:

bo, hamm, stable, unstable, etc. What's this?
Hamm means unstable or untested - concerning to the kernel or only to
the software packages?
I feel a bit outdated when running bo and it looks like the amount of
problems
is mostly the same - no matter whether running the stable or the
unstable distribution. nitpic (for example) won't run on my system (but
it should be
stable, or not?). How can kde-beta2.2 (i got the Lehmanns CD) reside in
stable? I do not understand what is actually stable and what's not - and
how this relates to the kernel-version.

 Mac

Sorry for the html, i dont' want to cause any overheat - so i hope it's
better to remail this message again.