Re: Why is debian "more of a learning curve" than Redhat???

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> I'm not sure. The point is that you have to make a decision, which mail
> transport agent you need (do you have a big site, with lots of users, or
> stand alone with no mail at all, or only local mail, or what), which
> webserver if any, what printer spooler/filter and so on.

In this case, only a dial-up ppp and otherwise standalone system. Where
I work, they wouldn't let me run any type of server, so I'm just trying
to find out the non-networked capabilities of the system. However,
eventually, I'd want to at least use it as a client system to access
email and web browsing plus web page development, with the possibility
of running a web server for localhost access -- I'm looking for
alternatives to Win95/NT with ASP and IIS/PWS.

> To configure a Linux system, you have to make a lot of decision, and to fine
> tune it you need certainly several weeks. Also, the default configuration
> can't suit every ones needs. With stand alone PC's or Macs, you can make a
> lot of assumptions, that are not true for Linux systems. There are sometimes
> long discussion about the best editor, the best window manager, the best
> shell. One could say, every component is optional ;)

Wow, that's purty scary!! and as a friend of mine likes to say "and I'm
fearless." :)

> It is actually only a short shell script. You can check what a file is with
> the "file command". You can execute a command and insert the output in a
> command line, like this:
(snip...)

Very interesting. I'll save that for when I can get one of the linux
systems  back in operation.

> No, you have to download them. You can print the postscript version with
> ghostscript and magicfilter installed.

So I noticed after a second look at that site: there were Zip files
which I can easily handle: I'm trying to read the documentation from the
Win 95 system and then plan the installation of linux.

> > I know it's not easy, Marcus. But that's what makes it worth doing, I
> > think....
>
> You are a hardliner, eh ? We all are ;)

I guess maybe I am.

Thanks.

Dave

--
--David E. Scott      Ohio Administrative Services
DaveScott@1000islands.com       acq_scott@ohio.gov