Kernel 2.0.32 over Kernel 2.0.29

I have instralled Kernel 2.0.32 over Kernel 2.0.29 to enable ipforwarding
and ipmasquerading and now neither ping or ftp works.  The error message
received is

ping:  send to:  Operation not permitted
ping:  wrote 192.168.64.3  64 chars, ret= -1

This is repeated for every packet. I can ppp to a dialup, but no packets
from ping, ftp, or and other service are transmitted through the modem.
I have looked at the Howto's but can find no solution.

Can anyone please help, or point me in the write direction, as to the
information I need.

Many Thanks

Ian Perry
iperry@ram.net.au