Re: superformat having problems allocating memory?

On Sun, Jan 25, 1998 at 01:03:00PM -0600, Douglas Bates wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a problem with the superformat program from
> the fdutils package or with malloc under libc6 or with my kernel but
> I get errors from superformat saying it cannot allocate memory when
> there is a lot of memory available.
>  bash-2.01$ superformat -d /dev/fd0
>  Formatting cylinder  0, head 0 format: Cannot allocate memory

Was this your first floppy format or had you done a lot?
After doing a lot of disks I got this message, or something similar,
about being unable to allocate DMA buffers. The people on the appropriate
linux- list tell me it's a design problem in the floppy driver,
and that ISA DMA is problematic with > 16mb RAM (which is what it uses).
I had to reboot to reset it, did you?

Joost's suggestion of a bad disk isn't a bad one either. ;-)

Hamish