Re: Installation Question (IBM TP 560)

"David E. Scott" <DaveScott@1000islands.com> writes:

> 	That's really interesting: putting LILO in the boot block of the Linux
> root partition. I understood that LILO would allow you to boot into
> various partitions, like the IBM Boot Manager does.
> 	When I was in IBM Systems Programming, it was useful to follow the
> sequence of events from the label record to the Volume Table of Contents
> (VTOC) and from there into the specific file you're looking for. Perhaps
> it would be useful to clarify the sequence of events here. According to
> the Partition Magic documentation, there is a Master Boot Record at the
> beginning of the drive which consists of a master boot program and
> partition table. Then for each bootable partition there is a partition
> boot record as well. So if I install the IBM Boot Manager in its own
> partition at the top of the drive, then it would seem logical that the
> system would first go to the first sector on the drive, find out there
> is a boot manager partition and go there, display the menu selection and
> then after input go to the selected partition where it presumably finds
> a partition boot record which presumably tells it where the first
> program is for loading that operating system.

LILO can be installed to override the Boot Manager (if it's installed
on the MBR), but it can also be installed to be started by something other
(when installed on the boot block of the Linux partition).

The sequence of events in my machine is like this:

1. The Master Boot Record (modified by OS/2 Boot Manager) of the hard disk
   is read and executed.
2. The MBR starts Boot Manager
3. The user tells the Boot Manager to boot from the Linux partition.
4. The Boot Manager starts LILO boot loader on the boot block of
   the Linux partition.
5. LILO starts Linux

/Tommi Kääriäinen/