Re: [Q] dselect-mountable install does not find packages

grin <grin@ExaBit.HU> writes:

> The 'mountable' method of dselect is great -- you don't have to wait for
> thousands of packages telling you "it's already installed".

Agreed!  BZ to its author (Andy Mortimer, I think).

> But while from the local disk mirror it worked flawlessly, I failed
> to use it through NFS.

I am using it succesfully via NFS against a mirror of Hamm.

> I have a partial mirror of hamm on the NFS, containing only the
> directories you see below:
>
> I set it up to use NFS mount in fstab, entered the dirs (hamm/binary-i386,
> contrib/binary-i386, non-free/binary-i386 and non-us/hamm), and update
> worked fine. After selecting I went on to [I]nstall, but it told me

OK, just curious here -- what did you enter non-us/hamm as -- your
local arcive?  This is not related to your problems, but I was
surprised that I was only asked for main, contrib, non-free, and local
-- no mention of non-us.

> "Warning: package XXXXXX, version X.Y-Z not available for installation.
> Skipping."

I don't know about this, but ...

> and some
>
> "Error: package XXXXXX does not have a filename! Skipping."

this sounds like bug#8054 against dpkg-mountable.  If a package fails
to install, dselect (using the mountable method) looses track of it
(Andy thinks that some strange behavior of dpkg itself is to blame for
the actual problem) and you have to rerun "1. [U]pdate" in dselect.

Give that a try and see what happens.  It may be that some other
problem is keeping the packages from installing, giving this bug a
chance to rear its head.  Let me know what happens, as I am very
interested in seeing this wonderful method working well for the hamm
release.

Andy, do you think that bug#8054 will be resolved prior to the release
of hamm?  Do you need someone to help debugging?

Kirk Hilliard