pppd named and debian

After my recent hared drive crash I am reviving my system
I unstalled Debian version 1.3 from a CD that I burned at work
from the offcial CD..here ar emy problems:
a) lilo doesn't work (minor concern...I have a boot disk that works..and

boots the kernel that I custom built)
b) pppd and named don't work together
b4 on my redhat system I had pppd doing dialup when I tol dit too
(I crated users pppon and pppoff and would su to them to activate
the cript)
I also ran anameserver...so that I could switch to a new ISP with almost
no configuration
anyway...now it doesn't work
I can connect with pppd..and it works...
but if I start named (named is installed as "right out of the package"
deb file)
it stops working..
ifconfig reports that ppp0 is connected but if I run "route" to see
the kernel routing table it shhows hangs until I control C....
if I kill named the routing table works again...
unfortunaly I have IP_MASQ setup...so without named my internal network
systems
can't connect to the outside very easily
any ideas? need more info?
-Steve