sending a message to the active console

How can I send a message to the active console?  For example, when a cdrom
is mounted, mount (or the kernel) reports 'changing media type...', etc.
to the active console - if you switch consoles, the text will finish on
the new active console.

Also, will this type of message appear in xconsole?  If not, how can I
make it appear in both?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to make a simple script to run in
the background and send caller-id messages to the console.

Thanks

---
Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com>, finger for public PGP key