Re: Lilo: How to install it? ( Part II )

I think the problem is different here.  You see, what is happening in the
lilo.conf shown (at least to the best of my understanding, and I am no
expert) is that LILO is installed on /dev/hda1 -- that is, the first
partition.  The stanza you show would just boot from the first partition,
effectively causing the same thing... booting LILO again.

I'm not sure exactly what the best solution is, but the problem could be
solved by either...

-  Changing the first line to boot=/dev/hda, thus installing an MBR, and
then restoring the Windows boot sector on /dev/hda1 (which may be stored
somewhere in /boot -- or in this case /kernel/boot -- or may need to be
restored by booting from a Windows 95 boot disk and typing SYS C:), and
then rerunning LILO with the stanza that Steve suggested.

-  Again restoring the Windows boot sector as described, installing LILO
on /dev/hda2, and setting it active, and using that stanza.

-  Using some options I don't know about because I'm not an expert here.
This looks like what you were trying to do with chain.b.  I have no idea
what chain.b does, and so I can't help you there.

C'ya,

Chris Smith
OU