Network Problem

Hi there,

A week ago I set up new Debian machine
called marvin. It is an old 80386-40
CPU board with 40 MB of disk and 8 MB of RAM.

The only work marvin will do is routing between
Packet Radio network and home (local) network.
After setting the network configuration files I can
ping my working machine (called ide) from marvin.
And I can also ping marvin from ide. NFS is also
working as well. The trouble is telnet and ftp.
ide works (I assume) well as I can telnet to it
from my 3rd home computer But ide<->marvin is
the neck.

On marvin I installed the base system plus
netstd package. I can telnet to localhost (marvin)
but I cannot get out from the machine. Hence
rpc works well.

I already spent a few days and have no idea what
could be wrong. Have I missed some important packages
or what?

If anybody has any suggestion I would really
appreciate it!

Thanks!

Uros