Re: telnet to localhost

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Wiria A Kusuma wrote:

> I can not telnet or ftp to localhost, it says that service is not
> started, but I can see them in /etc/service, can some body tell me
> where should I check for this error?

there are several possible causes for this:

1. check the log files in /var/log (especially daemon.log) - the
problem may be obvious from the logs.

2. is inetd running?  if not, why not?  fix it.

3. check to see if you have an entry for 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts,
or that your name server is resolving lookups for localhost,
localhost.your.domain, and 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.

if lookups on these names fail, then tcp wrappers PARANOIA setting is
probably refusing connections to this "unknown" host 127.0.0.1

if this is the case, you can fix it by either:

1. fixing your nameserver to do localhost lookups properly
2. adding "127.0.0.1	localhost" to your /etc/hosts file
3. adding "ALL: 127.0.0.1" to your /etc/hosts.allow file.

if that doesn't help, check your routing table. you should have a host
route for host 127.0.0.0 or a network route for network 127.0.0 via the
lo interface.

like this:

$ route -n | grep "^127"
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0      143 lo

> Further more I can not even ftp or http to my box from the net, even
> thou my apache and wuftpd is up and running.., it says something like
> connection closed by my server.
>
> but I can do every outbound connection like ftp, telnet to the others
> from my box, right now running kernel 2.0.32...

this could be caused by inetd or tcp wrappers problems as mentioned above.

alternatively, it could be because your machine is on a private network
(eg 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x) and is therefore unreachable from
the internet.  if you use some sort of Network Address Translation (NAT) or
IP Masquerading to get out to the net then this is the case.

craig

--
craig sanders