upgrade to hamm == X problems

   Yesterday i upgraded from bo to hamm.  That went pretty well, but
X broke.  I ran out of disk space during the X upgrade, and i thought
maybe that was the problem.  I removed all the X packages and reinstalled
on a roomier disk, hoping that would fix things.  It didnt, X still
doesnt work.

   It worked fine with bo but when i start the server under hamm, my
machine switches to video mode, blanks the screen, and stops talking
to the console.  The server output looks normal (looks like it's not
aware there's a problem).  I cant switch virtual consoles, i cant toggle
numlock, but i can ping the machine and i can log in remotely.  I can also
reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del.  I'm using an old Orchid Fahrenheit 1280 card
(S3 based).  I can run the VGA16 server ok, but not the accellerated
S3 server.

   Any ideas?  I guess the transition from XFree86 3.3 to 3.3.1 broke
support for my card...  I'll go look at the XFree web site.

Sebastian