Re: problem with nis and shadow

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> I also tried to set up shadow passwords with NIS and couldn't get it to work.
> I downloaded the libc source and could see that shadow passwords aren't
> implemented with regular NIS. It really isn't too surprising though since
> with regular NIS, it's easy for any machine on the network to get whatever
> maps it wants, therefore having "shadow" map doesn't really do you any good.
> Watch for this feature when NIS+ is supported (which supports
> authentication).
>

> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

After doing a lot more research it isn't supported under libc5 but is
supported in libc6.  I decided to upgraed to hamm, (because my video card
was supported in the new version of xfree) and saw this note in the NIS
documentation.  I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon.

Are there any other ways to securely share the password/shadow files over
multiple systems besides NIS?  I was thinking of rcp'ing/secure rcp  the
files over to the other machines once a day or so.

4. SHADOW PASSWORDS

   The Linux libc5 does not support shadow NIS maps. If you are dependant
   on libc5 applications, do not use shadow NIS maps. Instead you can use
   the method below:

  4.1 SHADOW-LIKE SECURITY

      You can provide shadow-like security by "mangling"
      the password for NIS lookups of pasword-file entries. Read the
manpage
      for "ypserv.conf" and read the comments in the sample
/etc/ypserv.conf.

  4.2 REAL SHADOW SUPPORT

      Libc6 has real shadow support for NIS builtin. It works like you
would
      expect; export the shadow map from the NIS server and just use it.
      The shadow map should be built with the "-s" (secure) option to
      makedbm. This is automatic in all modern /var/yp/Makefile files.

--
kaveh@idream.com
anything is possible except for skiing through a revolving door.