Re: problem with nis and shadow

I also tried to set up shadow passwords with NIS and couldn't get it to work.
I downloaded the libc source and could see that shadow passwords aren't
implemented with regular NIS. It really isn't too surprising though since
with regular NIS, it's easy for any machine on the network to get whatever
maps it wants, therefore having "shadow" map doesn't really do you any good.
Watch for this feature when NIS+ is supported (which supports
authentication).

Ronn Pimentel wrote:

> I'm having trouble with nis and shadow files on my bo system.  The system
> works fine when I don't have shadow installed on the server, but breaks
> when I enable shadow.  I enable shadow on the server, modify the Makefile
> to generate a shadow map and then it compiles it but when I do a ypcat,
> the shadow map doesn't show up.
>
> Am i missing something?
>
> music# ypcat -x
> Use "passwd" for "passwd.byname"
> Use "group" for "group.byname"
> Use "networks" for "networks.byaddr"
> Use "hosts" for "hosts.byname"
> Use "protocols" for "protocols.bynumber"
> Use "services" for "services.byname"
> Use "aliases" for "mail.aliases"
> Use "ethers" for "ethers.byname"
> music# ls
> group.bygid       netgroup.byhost      passwd.byname        rpc.bynumber
> group.byname      netgroup.byuser      passwd.byuid
> services.byname
> hosts.byaddr      netid.byname  protocols.byname    shadow.byname
> hosts.byname      networks.byaddr      protocols.bynumber  ypservers
> netgroup     networks.byname rpc.byname
> music#
>
> --

Jens B. Jorgensen