Two Monitors

Has anyone any experience in using two monitors on one machine.  I'm
thinking particularly of X.  I can get a second video card (which I guess
is mandatory or there'd be nowhere to plug the second one in right?).

What I'm really interested in is getting the tow side-by-side and having X
treat them as one big screen (similar to the way Macintosh's can do this).
Is this possible?  Or is my best bet to run up X :0 and X :1 and use
<Ctrl-Alt-F[78]> to switch between them?

I'd be interested to hear...

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)
Phone: 07-838-4764