Tape Back-ups Was: Ftape

Lets start this with a few *sighs* :/ I have now recompiled kernel 2.0.32
fine. The compile went fine and with no errors at all. I made sure that
ftape *was not* included. After editing the MCONFIG file and compiling
ftape yet again it still doesn't work.. i get errors as such:

	ftmt: command not found
	ftmt: /dev/qft0: Device not configured
	/usr/include/ioctls.h:23: asm/ioctls.h: No such file or directory
	/usr/include/ioctls.h:24: linux/sockios.h: No such file or directory
	In file included from /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h:30,

and too many others that i will not get into. I have fought, argued, and
bitched at/with ftape now for months. I'm tired of it and sick of going
over all the docs. So I have decided to give the iomega ditto 2 gig drive
to my wife as it works great under window3.11. I have moved it there and
she has finished a full backup of her computer with it.

	Now my question is.... Can someone tell me a good inexpensive
(100.00 - 300.00) tape drive that *is* supported with dependable drivers
under debian/Linux? Are there any tape drives which have drivers included
in the kernels? What are they? The drive should be able to backup atleast
1 gig min per tape.

Thanx and sorry for the bitching :/
	--Rob

PS.. 	My appologies to the maintainer of ftape Christian Meder as this
is not meant to be a flame and/or complaint against him or Ftape. I will
say that the documentation and the webpages are very well done.