Name server(Newbie question)

I recently installed debian on my home machine.

I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers, location of help or
actual advice, on how to set up a nameserver.

I have only one machine and I connect to the internet via ppp and an ISP.
 I want to use my machine to develop some web applications for later
release to a "production" machine connected full-time to the internet.  I
would like advice on how to configure the nameserver so that when I am
connected I can access the internet but when I am not connected I can still
use my webserver with virtual domains.

I suspect this is a fairly simple thing and if the FAQ is the place to go
then please tell me and I'll go there.

Thanks,
Jack