Re: inetd problems!!!

Christopher Jason Morrone <cmorrone@UDel.Edu> writes:

> Ok.  All of that would be "yes".  And when I just run inetd by hand, it
> doesn't say anything, it works perfectly fine.  Maybe I should make sure
> it removes all of its config files when I remove netbase, and then install
> again.  I think that xinetd did weird things to my init files.

If you install xinetd, it will instert a line in your /etc/init.d/netbase:

if [ -s /etc/rc2.d/S20xinetd ] ; then
   exit 0

So this file won't be exectuted, but /etc/init.d/xinetd will.

I believe you still have this line in the file.

BTW: the reason for xinetd not working as you expected is most likely, that
/etc/init.d/xinetd looks for rpc.portmap, which has been renamed to portmap
recently.

Ciao,
	Martin