smail 3.2.0.100-4, won't accept mail form port25 no more

Hi all

I use fetchmail to pop my mail usually, deliviring the mail locally by
connection to smail via the standard port 25.  Now smail still answers
to port 25 if I telnet to it, but it does not for some reason want to
deliver messages sent there.  It does still seem to handle messages
sent by calling it as sendmail, which I have set XFmail to do now.  I
can't seem to get fetchmail to work that way though.

The problem only seems to have shown up since I upgraded my packages to
the latest HAMM, which included the smail version mentioned in the
subject.  If I run Pine, I get this possibly usefull error message:

[Error sending: 501 HELO requires a valid host name as operand:
'localhost'

smail is set up using the first option when it ask me what kinda host I
am (connected to net via TCP/IP or something similar)

And when it comes to smart-host setup, I have configured to use my
ISP's smtp server (I am a dialup user, BTW), and to use it for all mail.

Ideally I'd like to know how to fix my smail problem, but in the mean
time, knowing how to set fetchmail up to work in mda mode would be
useful too.

E-Mail: Neilen Marais <brick@cryogen.com>
Date: 18-Jan-98
Time: 23:43:24