Database driver module problems

I am having problems getting the DBI drivers for mSQL working on my
Debian Linux 1.3.1 system.  I am using mSQL 2.0.3, DBI 0.91, and
Msql-modules-1.1814.

I have installed mSQL and the DBI module successfully (I think). Now I
am trying to install the Msql driver module.  I call "perl Makefile.PL"
and "make" successfully, but "make test" fails.  Below is the output of
make test with TEST_VERBOSE turned on:

    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Msql-modules-1.1814/DBD-mSQL'
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Msql-modules-1.1814/MsqlPerl'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Msql-modules-1.1814/MsqlPerl'
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /bin/perl -I./blib/arch -I./blib/lib
-I/usr/lib/perl5/i386-lin
    ux/5.00307 -I/usr/lib/perl5 -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests
$verbose);
    $verbose=1; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
    t/00base............Bare word found where operator expected at
/usr/local/lib/site_perl/DBI.pm line 477, near "$fh neat_list"
     (Missing operator before neat_list?)

... snip <the first test, t/00base, runs ok> ....

BTW; the line being referred to in the warning about DBI.pm (line 477)
is:
    "print $fh neat_list($ref,$maxlen,$fsep);"
As neat_list is a subroutine call, I assume this isn't a problem; at any
rate, the Perl debugger says that DBI.pm's syntax is fine.  All of the
tests print this warning, so I have removed it from their output below.

The second test generates the following output:
    t/10dsnlist.........
    Cannot connect: Unknown database "test"
     Either your server is not up and running or you have no
     permissions for acessing the DSN DBI:mSQL:test.
     This test requires a running server and write permissions.
     Please make sure your server is running and you have
     permissions, then retry.
    1..2
    not ok 1
    dubious
     Test returned status 10 (wstat 2560)

These tests all return the same error as above:
t/20createdrop, t/30insertfetch, t/40bindparam, t/40listfields,
t/40nulls, t/40numrows
t/50chopblanks

Then the next test prints this:
    t/40blobs..........
    1..0
    skipping test on this platform

Then there are a few tests (t/50commit, t/ak-dbd) that print this:
    t/50commit..........
    Can't call method "func" without a package or object reference at
t/mSQL.dbtest  line 99.
    1..16
    not ok 1
    dubious

Finally, several tests print a message like this:
    t/akmisc............Msql's message: Unknown database "test" at
t/akmisc.t line 1 21.
    Cannot select database 'test': Unknown database "test".
    Please make sure that a database "test" exists
    and that you have permission to read and write on it.
    1..345
    ok 1
    not ok 2

Things that I have checked:  YES, THE SERVER IS RUNNING.  I can see it
listed with the command "ps -ax," and I am able to create a database
using the msqladmin utility.  As far as write permission goes, because I
don't have an ACL file yet (since I don't really have any databases
created except as tests) mSQL prints the message that permission is
global read/write, so it seems like that shouldn't be an issue.  The
thing I'm more uncertain about is where mSQL is supposed to find these
databases called "test" in the first place, and I'm not sure how to even
determine this.

If anyone can help with this problem, I'd really appreciate it.

P.S. -- To those on the Debian list who would like to respond to this,
I'm not on the list to to a problem with my ISP's handling of the huge
amounts of mail it generated, so please respond via email; Thanks.