Moving from ethernet to a modem

Hi all,

I have friend whom I have persuaded to use Debian instead of Win95 :-)
He wants to \have an internet connection   from his home. As his situation
is of interest to me since my studying days will soon be over and I will
ghave to move from ethernet to modem as well I have the following
question. Will setting up PPP be straightforward or tricky for a novice
like him (I will be helping but I am a novice in PPP as well ) ? What
is the best setup in temrs of the internet providers i.e. what is
available
(e.g.
1) simple email, 2)just telneting to an internet provider's host machine
3) a whole IP address (like I have now) 4) some other setup ). More
specifically is it
possible (and not extremely expensive ) to be connected all the time and
have his own ip address ? I guess that all the questions apart from the
first one will be more relevant to UK users.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        George

George Kapetanios
Ph.D. student