Help! Can't remove apsfilter

Apsfilter 4.9.1-10 has not been installed correctly (dselect) and I get the message:

dpkg: error processing apsfilter (--remove)
  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
  reinstall it before attemting a removal

The problem is I am unable to get rid of it using dselect remove or purge even if I reinstall it again first. Is there a way to get shot of it using a dpkg --force option?

TIA

Adrian Monk