Re: Monitor Specs for Xfree86

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> Gateway informs me that my GW2000 Vivitron 17" monitor is
>    Hscan = 30-64
>    Vscan = 50-100
>    dot-pitch = .26
>
> but that they have never heard of dot-clock.
>
> I haden't either.  :-)

There is at least one Xfree doc that talks about it extensively, but I
don't remember which and I'm not home.  As I understand it, the dot clock
is literally the number of dots your video-card-generates/monitor-can-handle.
Combine it with horizontal lines and vertical lines and you have refresh
rate (I think, it's been a while). With most modern vide-card/monitor
combinations the card can generate a signal quite a bit faster than the
monitor can handle, in my case the card will do 220 and my monitor can't
even handle 110 (required for resonable 1280x1024 refresh).  Some people
have told me that certain cables will limit you even more (which at 100+
MHz sounds credible to me) but others have told me this is wrong.