Re: Clean hamm installation

On 15-Jan-98 Ben Pfaff wrote:
>    Is it already possible to install a new system directly with hamm? I need
>    to do an install tonight, and want it to be hamm.
>
> There aren't an hamm boot disks yet.  You have to install bo, then
> upgrade.

I wish that this were the case...  Unfortunately, under
dists/unstable/main/disks-i386/current, there are boot
disks.  I now understand that, but I didn't this weekend --
when I was installing Debian at home.  So far, I will say
that upgrading from libc5 to libc6 has required that I completely
reinstall two systems (both of which had been going since
just previous to Debian 1.1 days).  I will not go into
detail regarding the problems I had except to say that I
didn't HAVE to reinstall, but it surprised me that even a
relative Debian verteran was caught up so effectively - I
really think that the unpgrade script may solve some of the
troubles.

Just had to get a load off - still think Debian is head-and-
shoulders above the other distributions (besides, this time
I could reinstall and feel good about setting up tripwire
and a couple other security measures),

Paul