Re: strange rvxt behaviour

On 15 Jan, Tim@infoave.net wrote:
> I just upgraded to hamm and am having a peculiar problem: when I am in
> X as a user and I su to root in an rxvt terminal window, I am no loger
> able to open any rxvt terminal as a user. I get an error saying that
> rxvt cannot connect to a pseudo tty. This does not happen with xterm
> and if I log out as root everything works fine again.
>
> What is causing this??
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

I had this same problem after I moved my system to a different hard
drive.  The problem has to do with the /dev/pty* devices.

Try "cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV" as root... this spat out a few error messages
for symlinked devices (/dev/cdrom, /dev/modem, /dev/mouse) but it fixed
the problems with rxvt.

--
David Huggins-Daines
bn711@freenet.carleton.ca