Re: xauth problem

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> I wish to thank all the responces which I received on my Xauthority problem. I
> went looking for 'ssh' when I read it in the thread, but wasn't able to find
> it in any package (bo system). Of note, I use the default 'bash' shell and
> checked the variables (as suggested) :

ssh uses crypto, so it's on a non-us mirror (there's a readme.nonus on
the ftp sites I think).

> XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority

bhmit1@hobbes(p2):checklist$ ls ~$USER/.ssh
ls: ~bhmit1/.ssh: No such file or directory
bhmit1@hobbes(p2):checklist$ ls `expr ~$USER/.ssh`
ls: ~bhmit1/.ssh: No such file or directory
bhmit1@hobbes(p2):checklist$ ls `eval ~$USER/.ssh`
bash: /home/bhmit1/.ssh: is a directory

Third time's the charm.  Note those are back ticks.  The $HOME solution is
just as good, if not better.

> I see this Xauthority problem as a security hole and want to close it before
> jumping "online".

I wish my school thought this way.  Although it makes it possible for fun
scripts like grabbing a screen shot and displaying it, they get confused
when non of the windows work anymore and the mouse doesn't pull up menus
in the background :-)

Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds