Re: xauth problem

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> I wish to thank all the responces which I received on my Xauthority problem. I
> went looking for 'ssh' when I read it in the thread, but wasn't able to find
> it in any package (bo system). Of note, I use the default 'bash' shell and
> checked the variables (as suggested) :
>
> XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority
>
> I chased this down to a 'declare' statement in the /etc/profile file. Should I
> change the location of the declaration to the ~/.bash_profile file? (and
> change it to 'XAUTHORITY=~$USER/.Xauthority') ?
>
> I see this Xauthority problem as a security hole and want to close it before
> jumping "online".

If you have something like

declare -x XAUTHORITY="~/.Xauthority"

in /etc/profile, you can safely remove it. $HOME/.Xauthority is the
default place for this file and there is no security hole in not setting
this variable. Note that the file must have permissions 0600 if you care
about security.

Remco