Re: xauth problem

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> I wish to thank all the responces which I received on my Xauthority problem. I
> went looking for 'ssh' when I read it in the thread, but wasn't able to find
> it in any package (bo system). Of note, I use the default 'bash' shell and
> checked the variables (as suggested) :
>
> XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority

> I chased this down to a 'declare' statement in the /etc/profile file. Should I
> change the location of the declaration to the ~/.bash_profile file? (and
> change it to 'XAUTHORITY=~$USER/.Xauthority') ?

This will NOT work. You must use the fully expansion of ~ in that
statement. I use:

export XAUTHORITY=/home/jgg/.Xauthority

I'm sure that some sh wizard can give you an incantation that will
automatically expand ~ to it's full path.

Incidently, if you put that in the proper place a root shell 'su'-d to
will be able to use your X server.

Jason
Hopeing this mail goes through since our firewall just died a brutal
painfull death and now I am on ppp :<