Re: more from the ppp battlefield

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, dave mallery wrote:

> now i am back to work finding how to get my mail from the isp's
> mail server.  should i use elm or pine or...??  do they work
> like Eudora and go thru a connection dialog with the mail server
> every so often??

I use fetchmail to get my mail, procmail to filter it to different mail
boxes, and pine to read and send.  I also use sendmail to send and grab
anything that someone sends straight to my computer (I want to switch to
qmail soon).  If all this is scary, relax, once it's setup, you just use
pine or elm and everything else is automatic.  Grab fetchmail and procmail
and use a .fetchmailrc like the following:

poll mail.wm.edu
   protocol pop3
   user bhmit1
   pass secret
   mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f-"
   fetchall

In my /etc/ip-up I have:
if [ -x /home/bhmit1/.ppp-up ]; then
  su bhmit1 -c /home/bhmit1/.ppp-up
fi

and something similar in the ip-down.  Then in my .ppp-up and -down I
have:
.ppp-up:
fetchmail -d 300 --invisible -L /home/bhmit1/.log
fetchmail # this makes the daemon start right now

.ppp-down:
fetchmail -q
killall fetchmail 2>/dev/null # sometimes the -q doesn't catch it

I feel like putting up a web site that will have all kinds of things like
this in it (I have a cool script that goes through a list of chatscripts
so you can try different isp numbers or different isp's).

If I only had the time,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds