upgrading libpng for ghostscript

I've seen a fair bit of discussion on this list of problems moving between
libc5 and libc6 and problems with programs that rely on them.

I'm wondering if I can expect similar problems if I upgrade to ghostscript
5.10.  This requires, amongst other libraries, libpng v.0.96.  The version
available on my Debian CD is version 0.89c.  I guess ghostscript will run
just fine.  But will this break other apps that are currently using the
lesser version number ?

TIA,

Gerald Crimp