Re: Lilo howto install it?

Ivan Rojas <ivan.rojas@liikkuva.com> writes:

> Well the thing is I tryed creating a small partition in the first HD (
> 50Mb ) to install LILO in there. I select the LILO package in dselect
> but seems that is not being installed. I created a lilo.conf file and
> didn't work either.

All you need to do is to run the program /sbin/lilo. This will write
the bootloader to the bootsector as specified in /etc/lilo.conf. Every
time you edit lilo.conf or move the kernel on the disk you need to
rerun this program.

The reason this is not done at the time the lilo package is installed is
that it is slightly dangerous. If the lilo.conf file is wrong the
result could be an unbootable system. Therefore check the lilo.conf
carefully before running /sbin/lilo. Also have a bootdisk ready just
in case. "cat _your-kernel_ > /dev/fd0" makes a primitive bootdisk (the
Debian rescue disk is also usable). You could also write the
bootloader to the bootsector of a floppy in order to test your boot
configuration (use "boot=/dev/fd0" in lilo.conf).

- Sten Anderson