Re: Panic - Re: libc5-libc6 Upgrade - Problem logging in with username in NIS

On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 09:18:55AM -0800, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> > > passwd:         db files
> > > group:          db files
> > > shadow:         db files
> > For these three replace "db files" with "compat" and you should be done.
> How should it read?  The HOWTO mentions this but does not give an
> example.  Could you give me an example.
I tried to be clear but... anyway, my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this:

#-------------------cut here to damage your monitor----------------------
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
#

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files dns

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis db files
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for documentation try the command
  info libc
then look at the section
    * Name Service Switch

(You need the debian package libc6-doc for this. Yes, this is not obvious.)

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *