Re: Panic - Re: libc5-libc6 Upgrade - Problem logging in with username in NIS

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Also, I am in Panic Mode now.

> * If I am unable to log in as root, how do I fix what I did to
> nsswitch.conf?  I was sensible enough to backup the old file before
> making the changes.  I am unable to locate my emergency disk (or
> whatever it is called).  Can I use the Debian 1.3 distribution's
> installation boot disks, mount /dev/sdb3 as root and fix the problem and
> then try rebooting with my regular custom boot disk?  How?

Yes, this is The Universal Way To Do It. It also explains why people
wonder "Why did they call the installation bootdisk `rescue disk'?"

Type at the lilo prompt "linux root=/dev/<where your root filesystem is>"
If that doesn't work, try "linux emergency root=/dev/<blah>". Or if even
that fails, just hit enter and goto the second virtual console with alt-F2
and mount the /dev/<blah> on /mnt. You don't get to use emacs to edit
the fsck'ed conffiles then though.

> * Ideally, I'd prefer booting up into NT and being able to access the
> ext2 partition.  I remember reading somewhere that there is a device
> driver for reading / writing into an ext2 partition for NT.

AFAIK it's still rather beta and read-only.

Good luck,

Joost