Re: Panic - Re: libc5-libc6 Upgrade - Problem logging in with username in NIS

Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> I tried to be clear but... anyway, my /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this:
>
> #-------------------cut here to damage your monitor----------------------
> # /etc/nsswitch.conf
> #
> # Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
> #
>
> passwd:         compat
> group:          compat
> shadow:         compat
>
> hosts:          files dns
> networks:       files dns
>
> protocols:      db files
> services:       db files
> ethers:         db files
> rpc:            db files
>
> netgroup:       nis db files
> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doh!  Rereading what you had written, it makes sense.  What does compat
give me as opposed to db files nis?  I don't know if this is documented
in the info files.

> (You need the debian package libc6-doc for this. Yes, this is not obvious.)

Oooow!  That hurt. ;-)

Thanks again for all the folks who helped.  I think hamm is quite
stable.  If you are contemplating an upgrade but have held back because
of stability concerns, I suggest that you read the mini-HOWTO, grab the
upgrade script and don't screw up (like I did).

S.
--
"Programming in X Windows is like trying to find the square root of
                     pi using roman numerals"