Re: Announce: Simple End-User Linux (SEUL) Project

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> I think it might be a better idea to concentrate resources on the one
> currently available completely free Linux distribution and improve it
> rather than further fragment the community with yet another distribution.

One thing I've never been convinced of is the idea in some distribution
projects that stripping down the number of available packages to only a
relatively few "essential" applications is a good thing for new, home or
office users. With a $2 Debian CD from CheapBytes, one has access to
hundreds of packages -- why restrict that access?

Could the project goals of SEUL be met by Debian somehow? It already is a
stable, robust distribution, and is not going to go away. It also has gotten
easier to install and maintain with recent releases. What if improvements
were made to Debian's install and upgrade facilities to make it even easier,
and/or more documentation was created in the form of useful tutorials for
common procedures -- would this meet SEUL's goals? If so, it would save a
lot of work both for the SEUL team (who would be creating a new distribution
from scratch, which realistically would probably never be as robust as
Debian), and for the Debian project (who would gain the assistance of the
SEUL folks in making Debian easier to install and maintain).

Michael Stutz  .  http://dsl.org/m/  .  copyright disclaimer etc
stutz@dsl.org  :  finger for pgp     :  http://dsl.org/copyleft/