{Q} Several Questions on X

Hello,
I have debian-hamm as of Dec. 19, (everything is libc6) installed.
I cannot seem to get X to work when I am not root.
It tells me that only root can run the server.
I thought that there might be something wrong with permissions, so
I reinstalled x-server-s3v.  It installed OK with one error saying
something
about MAKEDEV cannot do something.  I still can run X as root but
not as a regular user.

I changed /etc/X11/config to allow anybody to login, and I tried
'console' -- still did not help.
What could I be doing wrong?

Another Question I have is how to make a background image (JPG or BMP)
to appear
when I start my X session.

BTW, I did try to comment out and enable back the option that starts xdm
on start -- it did not
help.  Actually I am not sure I understand what xdm does -- when I boot
by box I still get the
regular text only prompt -- is it how it should work?  I also start my X
sessions by typing
'startx' -- is that a correct way of starting X (as a user or as a
root)?

Thanks in advance,
Vladislav