Re: Good Soundcard

On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 11:39:39PM -0500, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 06:29:14PM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> So what is the reason to stay away from SB AWE64?
> Especially if one has a dual-boot system?

No reason if you have a dual-boot system ;)

You can however use the AWE64 as a AWE32 under Linux (perhaps with better
plugs, less noise and more memory, if you invest in the expensive Gold
edition). That's all. The poster said nothing about using the card under
WIndows. He asked for a SB16Pro compatible card, so I assumed he didn't want
a too powerful card. My apologize if I was wrong.

BTW: If he hadn't explicitly request a SB compatible crad, I would never
have suggested one ;) I dislike the marketing politic of Creative Labs.
I bought my SB AWE 32 before I started to work with Linux :-(

Oh, another one: If you have cyrix processor, you definitely want to stay
away from the SB AWE64 under windoze, too, because it may not work better
than in Linux (due to floating point calculations the driver depends on).

> By the way Net Express on their web page
> (http://www.tdl.com/~netex/redhat/configuration.html) suggests what I
> understand as an alternative way of confuguring Sound Card. And provided
> they ship their systems with AWE 64 by default, described procedure should
> be applicable to this particular card.

I took a look at the man page. It is neither very useful for Debian nor an
alternative way to install a soundcard. I don't understand what you mean. It
is a step by step guide through want you can achieve much simpler and less
error prone with the debian utils like the kernel-package. No need to fuss
with modules if you have dpkg.

> What is in contradiction with your HOWTO is they explicitly say
> that sound should NOT be compiled as a module as it will default volume
> and other settings each time application access audio devices.

This will not work, because you can't initialize the PnP card in the kernel
(well, you can with recent kernels, but beside that). So the sound card will
not work, because isapnp has to be run before the modules get loaded. Debian
already takes care of this.

> Who's wrong?

They are ;)

Bye,