Re: Good Soundcard?

>Can anybody recommend a sound card based upon the following criteria:
>
>* Compatability with Linux * SBPro compatability * Sound Quality * Price
>
>Thanks!  There seems to be a shortage of sound card reviews...  -- Jon
>Nelson U of MN Housing and Res. Life Computing Supervisor

I've been extremely pleased with my GUS Max - excellent sound quality -
wavetable and up to 48,000hz (better than cd quality), and it works with
all the dos megademos (check out ftp.cdrom.com/pub/demos if you aren't
sure what I'm taking about).  But, they've stopped making those..

Two other sound cards with similar specs, and that I've heard good review
from the linux crowd on are the Ensoniq AudioPCI, which is sbpro hardware
compatible, and ViperMax (http://www.computex.com.tw/synergy), which is
hardware compabitible with both sbpro and GUS).  Both of these cards are
wavetable and do 48,000hz sound.  They're both available for around
$80-$90, which is about the price of the far inferior Creative Labs
SB16PnP.

				-pete