Re: Two Net Cards problem

At 12:45 PM 1/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Rob wrote:
>
>> blue# route
>> Kernel IP routing table
>> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
>> 195.44.34.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1
eth0
>> 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        2
eth1
>> 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        2 lo
>> default         195.44.34.1     0.0.0.0         UG    1      0        1
eth0

>If you change the default route, I'll be this will either fix or reverse
>the problem.  You system will send packets bound for the internet over
>eth0 according to this setup, but I don't know if it's smart enough to
>send packets bound for 194.44.34.* over eth0 if you change the default.

Hi there.  Thanks for the reply.

I tried changing the default route.. still I can ping other stuff on the
192.168.0.* network (the local stuff) and still nothing on the internet,
nor 195.44.34.1 (which I know is there and responds to pings!)  BAsically,
it had no effect.. :-(

>I'd also suggest the ethernet HOWTO:
>   3.2.  Using More than one Ethernet Card per Machine

yep.. read that, was trying to do that when I realised that it had found
both cards anyway.  Maybe because one's a Lance and one's an NE card; I dunno.

I did read in the hardware compatibility how-to, however, that the NI6510
is only semi-supported, although hamm seems quite happy with it.  I have
had it as the only card, linked to the local network instead of the
internet, and it worked perfectly.  I have also had both cards in place,
and swapped over the config, and it worked.  So I know the card is
basically OK.  The only difference between the internet use and the local
use is the local network is coax, and the cable modem needs a RJ45.  But
the (dos based) setup utility tells me it's set to "Auto detect" anyway..

>I bet you could have kept eth0 like it was with some lilo options, but
>can't guarantee this since I'm not really an expert in these (both lilo
>and multiple ethernets) areas.
>
>HTH,
>Brandon

Thanks again for the response.