Re: LILO stopped working

Oh dear, a second person that thinks I'm an expert :-)

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, Tim Thomson wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 bhmit1@mail.wm.edu wrote:
>
> >    LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
> >     loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
> >     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
> >     installer.

> When I compiled my kernel, I just copied
> the image file from wherever it was in /usr/src/linux to /vmlinuz.
> I had previously renamed the /vmlinuz sym link to /vmlinuz.old
> I have been running my system with the new kernel (2.0.32) for over a
> month now, have had no problems.
> The System.map-2.0.29 is still in /boot, and no later one has been
> installed. The only thing that has changed in awhile is the map file,
> while LILO installed?

You should copy your 2.0.32 map file to the boot directory I think.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

> after I had defragged my file system.
> What files in /boot do I need? can I remove everything but /boot/map?

Eek, I think this is your problem.  I've never tried to defrag an e2fs
partition since it does pretty good on its own.  But, since defraging
moves files around, and I think lilo only stores the physical location of
the kernel, it will not know where your kernel is.  You have to rerun
lilo.  If you need to, use your installation disk, but do _not_ install
anything.  Switch to a prompt (<alt><f2>), mount your root partition, and
do lilo -r <dir>, where <dir> is where you mounted your root partition.

HTH,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds