Re: LILO stopped working

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 bhmit1@mail.wm.edu wrote:

>    LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
>     loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
>     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
>     installer.

Ummm... What is the /boot directory used for?
The installation boot installed the default stuff for 2.0.29 in there, but
I haven't bothered touching it. When I compiled my kernel, I just copied
the image file from wherever it was in /usr/src/linux to /vmlinuz.
I had previously renamed the /vmlinuz sym link to /vmlinuz.old
I have been running my system with the new kernel (2.0.32) for over a
month now, have had no problems.
The System.map-2.0.29 is still in /boot, and no later one has been
installed. The only thing that has changed in awhile is the map file,
while LILO installed? after I had defragged my file system.
What files in /boot do I need? can I remove everything but /boot/map?

Thanks for any help,

Tim.

Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?
http://www.debian.org